EU fish market
| || |
Key figures at EU level
| || |
The EU is a major world market for fish and seafood: in 2016 its apparent consumption amounted to 12,41 million tonnes corresponding to around 24 kg per capita. Consumption, however, varies greatly across the EU, from 57,0 kg/per capita in Portugal to 5,2 kg/per capita in Hungary. The annual expenditure for purchasing seafood by EU households amounts to more than 100 euro per capita, which is one quarter of the amount spent for meat.
The main products consumed are tuna (mostly canned), cod, salmon, Alaska pollock, shrimps, mussel and herring.
The internal demand of seafood in the EU is mostly met through imports, as they cover around 60% of the total supply (2016). Salmon, cod, tuna, Alaska pollock, fishmeal and shrimps are the most imported products. On the other hand, almost 13% of EU supply is exported. The main products exported are herring, mackerel, blue whiting, tuna, fishmeal and fish oil.
The EU is the fifth largest producer in the world of fishery and aquaculture products, covering in 2016 around 3% of global production (5,6% for catches and 1,2% for aquaculture). Products caught by Member States' fleet represent more than 80% of the supply, and the remaining 20% is represented by farmed fish (2016).